Can one add new renderers to Scribble via a package?

I'd like to extend Scribble with an --html-nav option to produce a separate file containing the navigational elements. My intent is to convert the Scribble-generated html to sxml, then include the body sxml and navigational sxml in an sxml-template. This is part of my journey to create a tadpole-like static site and blog generator.

I can find the bits of code in html-render.rkt that produce the nav elements, but I've yet to puzzle out if there is a framework in the Scribble rendering code that would let me install a new renderer and associated command-line option via a package. Do I just have to fork Scribble to extend it in this way?

There is not currently a plugin protocol.

If you (or others) are interested in tackling this, I think it would make sense to add a way for a collection info.rkt files declare new renderers that can be used from raco scribble (where those info.rkt files can be found via find-relevant-directories).

A secondary obstacle is that the command-line form used by raco scribble does not support a dynamically determined set of flags for renderers. There could be a new flag that takes a renderer name as an argument, or maybe it makes sense to convert to parse-command-line, or maybe there's a better approach.