Few problems with last version of Racket

hello,

i got a problem yesterday that force me to upgrade from racket 8.13 to 8.14, the packet manager was freezing, i do not know exactly the cause but it seems that having in the available modules both a local on disk package used (and perheaps rebuilding and modifying) and a remote version on package server web site was causing troubles.I cannot delete them in gui, perheaps i should have done it in the terminal.

It was so hard to solve that i reboot the system without changes ,then i installed 8.14 and the problem still was here! i thought this would solve my issue ... then i saw a new option to install the package of the previous version and clicking on it solve all the problems....

another thing is when wanting to read the doc by the racket menu help
try to open this file in mozilla without success:

file:///home/mattei/.local/share/racket/8.14/doc/index.html

but the file really exist, i checked in the terminal.

Then i open it manually with the mozilla file open ... by browsing in the subdirs and it worked but when opened i noticed the URL was not the one i opened on the system it was now:

file:///run/user/1000/doc/bbff0e1f/index.html

which i do not understand...

i suppose a new linux ubuntu bizzareries ("strange", "weird" in english) making Racket unable to open the doc...

regards,

This symptom usually means that you installed your web browser through a package manager that uses sandboxing, like Snap (the default on recent versions of Ubuntu) or Flatpak.

If you want to use a browser installed that way, you can adjust the sandbox permissions to expose the relevant directories. For Flatpak, in addition to the command line, Flatseal is a convenient way to do this, or, if you use KDE, the System Settings application has is an ApplicationsFlatpak Permission Settings module. I believe there are analogous ways to configure Snap, but I don't know what they are: I didn't use Snap on my systems even before I switched back from Ubuntu to Debian.

If you don't particularly want to use Snap/Flatpak/etc. for your browser, you might be interested to know that Mozilla recently started publishing an APT repository for Firefox (which is how I installed the browser I'm using to write this), in addition to their long-established self-updating release that works similarly to the Windows and Mac OS distributions.

If you want to leave your normal browser alone and just change how Racket opens pages, you can use the Browser tab in DrRacket's Preferences dialog to control the exact command Racket will run, though I don't have a great recommendation for what to put there other than a command opening some less-sandboxed browser. If you go that route, see the browser-preference? documentation for some caveats about shell quoting.

3 Likes

thank you for the explanation, it is sad to see ubuntu linux out of the box perform like this, it is becoming a system for people that do not know how to use command line... I remember the day i installed a slackware v0.99 i was still configuring the RTC modem at 3 o'clock but at least i understood how the system was running....