|- template.html.p
|- template.html
|- topic-welcome.html
|- topic-welcome.html.p
|- subdir
|  |- index.poly.p

index.poly.p contents are

#lang pollen

◊(define-meta template (list "topic-welcome.html" "topic-welcome.md"))

◊title{Hello, new topic}

in pollen.rkt i have

(module setup racket/base
  (provide (all-defined-out))
  (define poly-targets '(md sexp html)))

and markdown is recognized as the main output format.

I ran this in a repl opened in drracket in the file pollen.rkt

> (parameterize ([current-poly-target 'html])
    (displayln (get-template-for (simple-form-path "subdir/index.poly.pm")))
    (displayln (select-from-metas 'template (simple-form-path "subdir/index.poly.pm"))))
${FULL_PATH}/./template.html
(list topic-welcome.html topic-welcome.md)

I am bashing my head against the wall, pardon my way of expressing myself, but I'm very tired and frustrated to what seems to be the most straightforward use of define-meta, it is likely that I made a mistake, but I really can't show code because it's for work. I don't know what to do, any ideas?

Two things, honestly the documentation, while clear, if read carelessly you can misunderstand that get-template-for documentation both the first and second method look upwards from the file directory. That was confusing but my fault.

The other is that the extension comparison in the branch for loading the template from metas uses eq? when you can use this racket -e '(eq? "html" (substring "a.html" 2))' to find that this won't work.
So yeah, too many headaches.

Edit: it's the source file render.rkt at line 461, the eq? should be replaced with an equal?
Edit 2: I might sound too angry, but I don't blame the author, I have committed the same error before, I'm just on the deadline.

I think you’re right that line might be the problem, but the actual fix may be more involved, because one of the arguments to eq? there would sometime be a symbol.

I’ve posted an issue on the git repo.

Update: The issue was closed with this commit, try updating with raco pkg update pollen to confirm if this is fixed for you.