Racket v8.11 Release Thread

The release process for v8.11 will begin in about a week.  If you
have any new features that you want in and are relatively close to
to being done, now is a good time to do that.

Upcoming dates:
- 7th:  Branch day, merge window starts
- 15th: Merge window ends, testing starts
- 22nd: Testing ends

Hi John,

A small PR I made to quickscript got accepted and Iā€™m wondering if it was too late for 8.11?

Best

Stephen

We haven't started testing yet, can you get Laurent to pick it for the release ? @Laurent.O

More to the point, really: this should be Laurent's decision, not mine. To simplify this for Laurent, here's the script generated by Ryan's repo-manager-app for picking this:

# create new release branch
git pull; git checkout -b release 1ada405d220a7cff7cadab392272ab3cb93fc781
git cherry-pick -x 5243a8740a6f22732f694427818bb3b3b9e363e5
git push origin release

And (my apologies for not responding sooner), I would very much like to start the testing some time before midnight here (PST) so it would be great if he could do this today? I realize it's already past the end of the workday in Europe.

1 Like

Since Stephen's commit (5243a87) is already on head and is just the one above 1ada405 (as tagged by Ryan's script for release), isn't it possible to just branch to release directly from 5243a87 instead of cherry-picking?

realize it's already past the end of the workday in Europe.

Well, it's not like Racket is my day job anyway :wink:

Also, I see that Robby has been adding tags instead of using a release branch. So isn't a tag v8.11 sufficient then?

edit: I added the tag. Let me know if something else needs to be done.

1. In principle, creating a release tag directly on the given commit would probably work fine. Running the given commands, though, makes for uniformity; I can imagine a future in which we might scrape those commits, or something else. Basically: sure, you can do it differently, but why would you want to?

2. It is important to create a branch, though; the cron job that checks to see whether it needs to update is looking for release branches only and not for an 8.11 tag (that would be extra redundant code, basically).

I have no desire to make extra work for you, though. Since it seems clear that you're implicitly approving adding this commit to the release, I went ahead and created the release branch for you (using a cherry-pick, sorry :)).

I should add: there's a script that will add the 8.11 tag at the end of the release process. Having an existing 8.11 tag there will probably break the script, so I took the liberty of deleting it; apologies for unilaterally messing with your repo.

2 Likes

All good, no worries at all, I was just wondering what's the simplest thing to do. Looks like I was confused about tags, if they are added automatically afterwards.

Thanks for fixing it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
Testing for the v8.11 release
  (using the v8.10.900 release candidate build)

Search for your name on the checklist page to find relevant items, either
reply when you finish an item (please indicate which item/s is/are done),
or check it off yourself on the checklist page. Also, if you have any
commits that should have been picked, make sure that the changes are in.

Be sure to finish your testing by the 27th. Otherwise the release
will move on without your input.

The checklist page is at:
     https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Release-Checklist-8.11

Release candidates are at:
     https://pre-release.racket-lang.org

Please use these installers (or source bundles) -- don't test from
your own git clone (don't test the `master' branch by mistake!).
To get the tests, you can do this:

cd ...racket-root...
  ./bin/raco pkg install -i --auto main-distribution-test

EDIT: changed end of testing from 22nd to 27th, my apologies.