Software freedom conservancy

Hello,
I noticed that Racket is member of SFC.
I wonder what are the differences between SFC and FSF.

1 Like

I can't speak to the differences, but see this nice talk from an SFCer at (ninth RacketCon).

1 Like

Sorry but the link doesn’t work. Can I find it on YouTube?

Is this one?

It is indeed. Not sure why the link didn't work, my apologies.

They handily provided descriptions that I presume are still accurate

From Software Freedom Conservancy and Free Software Foundation announce copyleft.org β€” Free Software Foundation β€” Working together for free software Published on Nov 07, 2014

About the Free Software Foundation

The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as in freedom) software -- particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux variants -- and free documentation for free software. The FSF also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites, located at fsf.org and gnu.org, are an important source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations to support the FSF's work can be made athttps://donate.fsf.org. Its headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.

About Software Freedom Conservancy

Software Freedom Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization that promotes, improves, develops and defends Free, Libre and Open Source software projects. Conservancy is home to more than thirty software projects, each supported by a dedicated community of volunteers, developers and users. Conservancy's projects include some of the most widely used software systems in the world across many application areas, including educational software deployed in schools around the globe, embedded software systems deployed in most consumer electronic devices, distributed version control developer tools, integrated library services systems, and widely used graphics and art programs. A full list of Conservancy's member projects is available. Conservancy provides these projects with the necessary infrastructure and not-for-profit support services to enable each project's communities to focus on what they do best: creating innovative software and advancing computing for the public's benefit.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

I think the differences are subtle. Probably one difference is that Stallman exaggerate when he says that every software must be free software. Maybe in SFC they are less strict.

Obviously different organizations have some philosophical differences, but more fundamentally the goal of the SFC is to assist existing projects with financial and legal matters, which is what they do for Racket. The FSF has its own projects but does not serve as a fiscal sponsor for other projects.

5 Likes

Thank you very much.