What should we do for the summer event this year?

What should we do for the summer event this year?

In past years we have done

• Pictures
  • Quickscripts
  • Macros
  • Languages

I'm quite aware Racket the Platform are different things for different people.

I'd like the event to be inclusive to bring new Racketeers in - but I also feel it needs some challenge to both showcase what is special about Racket, and make the event interesting.

There is a strategy for coming up with ideas where you try to turn the filters off so you don't exclude ideas too soon. I think this is the 'no bad ideas' phase. I'll go first but if you have an idea you think is too crazy just DM me if you are shy.

My idea: Little languages for pictures. so you are not making pictures you are making a little language to make a class of pictures

s.

2 Likes

Documentation / examples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(I just made this up; I am not qualified to do the work so the description could be very flawed.)

From a recent discord note:

continuations: a quick intro (aka control flow fun)

Show off cool, concise examples of uses of continuations.

The target audience for reading the work is somebody who just heard of them once or twice but did not read any academic treatment of them (or did not understand it).

Accessibility: an example illustrating the basics could probably produced after an hour of reading and thinking, so call it 2-3 hours of investment in learning and writing by someone who knows nothing.

Why are you making this suggestion? So the next person with a big "why I'm quitting Racket" post is not able to cite "I did not understand the documentation on continuations" as one of the reasons.

Coolness factor: low, afaik.

Utility factor: low-medium unless either you include some specific examples of interesting constructs in the suggestions (amb?) or better-informed people have cooler uses.

Include:

• tutorials
  • small examples
  • delimited continuations

Additional resources

1. Lessons in Using Continuations - Jack Firth.

(edit: added resources)

1 Like

Thank you @maueroats & @sorawee

These are excellent ideas!

In addition to continuations, are there any other areas that need more examples?

• engines (came up for me recently and I still have not made an example I'm happy with)
  • syntax-parse-examples are always welcome :sweat_smile:
  • ???

For the mechanics of an event this seems pretty easy?

What constitutes an entry?

best regards,

Stephen

PS any other event ideas?

I enjoy reading about new topics, so how about:

1) Implement you favorite algorithm in Racket and 
      write about it in a blog post.
 or   
 2) Experiment with a new Racket feature and 
     write about it in a blog post.

If you have the time, write a tutorial instead of a blog post (not an requirement).
If you do not have a blog, the entry can be posted on blog.racket-lang.org .

1 Like

An area that could use some examples: augment and inner methods. The Class guide gives a few examples using overrideable methods (with super IIRC), but neither guide nor reference seems to contain an inner example. (I'd happily be proven wrong.)

1 Like

Hi,

If there are no objections to the following I’ll post the announcement (with any corrections) on 1 Aug 2023 on Racket Discourse

Best regards

Stephen :standard_fish: :beetle:

The 2023 Racket Summer Event

This years theme is ‘racket examples’

The task is create an example - code and description - of a feature or algorithm.

Entry Categories

There will be two categories:

Small to medium examples

for inclusion in https://docs.racket-lang.org/
(Or perhaps the Racket-Cookbooks · GitHub )

larger examples

As a vignette or blog post.
Also for https://docs.racket-lang.org/ but these may be considered for possible publication (or republication) on the official Racket Blog)

How to submit?

Two phase

1. Publish your submission
    this can be
  • a pull request to the relevant repository
  • a blog post
  • a post (‘topic’) on the Racket Discourse (category: Show & Tell with the tag ‘example’
  1. Notify the organisers: this will be a web form and will also include consent to use the entries and contact information for prizes. Personal information (name and address) will be kept private and only be use for the purpose of arranging postage of prizes. Personal information will not be retained after the event. Is concluded.

Rules

• Entries open 1 Aug 2023
  • Entries close 20 October 2023 (in your timezone)
  • Winners will be announced at RacketCon 2023 and on RacketDiscourse.
  • entries must be racket related: any language on the racket platform including languages not part of the standard distribution; it can be racket/base, typed racket, Qi, RacketScript, Zuo, Urlang, Rhombus, Nora(LLVM Racket compiler), Shplait, or something else entirely.
  • All entries must include :standard_fish:

Prizes!

• the admiration of your peers
  • stickers!
  • tbc

Sponsor this event !

Racketeer are the most capable developers I have met - do yourself a favour and get in touch.