A newbie questions

can't get started the drracket gui keeps saying
read-syntax: #lang not enabled
possible reason: not allowed again inside a module that already starts #lang, or not enabled for interactive evaluation

Interactions disabled.

on an M1 macbook Air, tried googling but don't see it, so I am guess something very basic that I am doing wrong

Check what you have chosen as the default language in the lower, left corner.

Thanks for the hint, encouraged me to go back and play with things, I thin I figured out the problem, there was a #lang spec at top, deleted that, and the examples from "getting started" started to work. It is always the first steps that are the most difficult !

3 Likes

It's normal to have a #lang line at the top of the file if programming in Racket (e.g. #lang racket or #lang racket/base). It may be different for other languages, say, the student languages. Which language (as in "#lang") do you actually use or want to use?

I just tested in the Beginning Language:

(define x +)

Error: +: expected a function call, but there is no open parenthesis before this function

Perhaps the Student Languages can detect #lang and raise a easier to understand error.

1 Like

I think that's a great idea!

Other read errors (e.g., mismatched parens or double quotes, quote at the end of file) probably should also remove the "read-syntax: " prefix, which is a confusing term from student's POV.

1 Like

the examples used scribble and a few others, I was just copy-pasting code and trying out, before writing any of my own.