DrRacket 8.5 glitches in combined presentation mode

Hi Racketeers,

I'm using DrRacket in class where it is full screen on my laptop, being projected to students in class and also shared with online attendees via Zoom screenshare (I teach CS at Krea University).

In this mode, so many glitches turn up it becomes nearly impossible to use it live in class. Some glitches that happen -

1. The editor window keeps losing focus after each key press.
  2. Tip boxes that were once shown and were supposed to be cleaned up get stuck to the screen, obscuring text. Sometimes switch out of DrRacket and back in helps, but at other times it doesn't.
  3. The run button click needs to be done at least twice to run the code in the editor window.

None of these problems happen when I'm using DrRacket solo in full screen mode and I suspect it is the combination of full screen + projecting. I'll try and narrow it down next class to whether the zoom sceenshare is a factor or not. I'm guessing not because I've used it in such class presentations without zoom and it didn't have such problems. However the current version I'm using is 8.5 and I'd used a previous release in the earlier class I used it for ... in case that matters. Meanwhile, curious whether anyone else has encountered this kind of behaviour and have any workarounds.

Thanks and best,
-Srikumar

1 Like

Hey there! Does this happen with 8.9 perhaps? :innocent:

1 Like

Which OS?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I'm yet to check with 8.9. Will get to test it in 3 days time.
I'm using MacOS v13.4.1.- on M1 macbook air.

Unfortunately the class wasn't a hybrid class this time, so didn't get the opportunity to check the trio together. However 8.9 worked fine with just the projector and extended desktop. (as did 8.5). Will post again if/when this crops up.

I believe Zoom gives you the option to share your entire screen as well as sharing just the Dr. Racket window. If you are sharing just Dr. Racket, you might try switching to sharing the whole screen. I've seen odd interactions with other screen sharing programs on MacOS when trying to share an individual application.

1 Like