Updating Racket

I installed Racket on Linux using the bash script provided on the website. I'd like to update it to the latest version but am not sure how. Can anyone advise me please?

1 Like

I don't use that bizarre script anymore, but it contains an uninstall script that to remove everything installed.

I guess you can uninstall it first, then install new one it.

I think we should add the uninstall instruction to this page's unix installation methods https://download.racket-lang.org/

If you installed Racket in the default configuration (that is, not a Unix-style distribution), then uninstalling is as easy as just deleting the directory that contains the installed racket tree, and then installing using the new installer.

If, on the other hand, you installed using a UNIX-style install, you'll need to delete the pieces that are installed in various locations. You can do this using the uninstall script that is generated when you use a unix-style install, which should live in the same place as the racket binary.

If you're not sure which one you used, you should be able to locate your racket binary. If it lives in a directory such as /usr/racket/bin where the bin directory is inside of a racket directory, you probably have a standard install, and you can just get rid of the whole racket directory and install the new one. If it lives in a directory such as /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin where the parent of the bin directory is not racket-specific, you probably used a unix-style install, and you should uninstall using the racket-uninstall script that was created when you installed.

Many thanks for that. I did a UNIX-style install and now that you mention it, I think there was a message during install about uninstalling it. I'll search for the script and do that.