Where can i find solutions to exercises from the book "How to Design Classes"

English is not my main language,sorry for bad grammar.
Programming is my hobby. I just finished HtDP. As a person,who have never programmed before,it gave me a lot. There is a book How to design Classes (same authors of HtDP). It is also on drracket (language name ProfessorJ, package name profj)
My question: Where can I find solutions to exercises from that book? I did not find any on github. I learning programming by my own,so i need solutions,just to be sure, that my solution is correct.

1 Like

Some notes on HtDC:

— I abandoned it just before completion. What you see is what you get.
— What you see is what it takes to systematically adapt the design recipe from HtDP to a typed, class-based language.
— What I had planned on developing is a pair of chapters on how this systematic design needs to be broken to accommodate a language that doesn’t implement calls properly.
— I know the material. I don’t know how to do this pedagogically.
— Kathy, the lead on ProfessorJ, abandoned it when she realized how fast Java was going to move. But we had tied the teaching languages to ProfessorJ, so this is also a stopper.
— DrRacket isn’t particularly good about supporting editing in this language.

— For Fundamentals I (HtDP), I have long encouraged students to publish their solutions on github, because I take the time to make new exercises every semester I teach it.
— For Fundamentals II (HtDC), I would have done so but while I designed the course, I never delivered it. So you might be able to find solutions on github but they won’t be as openly advertised.
— Some instructors don’t have the time to make new exercises every semester.

1 Like

English is not my native language,sorry for my bad grammar.
I am stuck at page 135 and I cannot go on, because i get an error.
I have imported following libraries: draw,geometry,colors and then i try to call a constructor in interactions area new Canvas (100,100) as stated in the book, but in response i get an error about missing collections (take a look at screenshots)
I guess you had no issues while you walkthrough the book. Please, can you specify,which version of drracket you had, and how you installed the package profj?

I have installed the package via File>Package Manager> Available from Catalogue menu.

Steps i did, to attempt fix this eror:
a) Uninstalled and reinstall the package
b) Uninstalled the package and the drracket with removing "Racket" folder in APPDATA (to reset settings) and then reinstall drracket and package
c) Installing newer drracket version (7.0/ 7.5) and package
d) Clone profj repository and then in GIT BASH type a command
git checkout aa20a056d7834a1e821f6c63277ee03724af9b15 (to get to previous commit version)
and install the package via FIle->Package Manager-> Do What i Mean -> and select the directory.

All my steps had no effect.I get the same error.

Screenshot

Is there a way to fix missing collection error? i do not want to drop the book.

My best guess is that you are encountering some “bit rot”. Kathy, who created the sw, has moved on (to FaceBook). Matthew @mflatt who supervised the dissertation may know whether these things can be restored. Sorry for this — Matthias

I found a draft of the book from June 15, 2012.
If you look at the releases of Racket, you'll see:

So I suggest trying version 5.2 or 5.3.

https://download.racket-lang.org/all-versions.html

1 Like