[Suggestion] Allow new users more than just two links in a post

Could the limit of only two links in a post by new users be increased? To me, the limit of two seems somewhat arbitrary and that an appropriate limit would be something more like 10-20. For example, I don't see how five links in a single post are more dangerous than two, especially when a new user can subsequently reply with new posts to post more links. So right now, a new user can in effect post more than two links in a short period of time to the detriment of the readability of a legitimate post.

3 Likes

I have the suspicion that for new users there's also a limit of how many posts they can post in some time interval. :wink:

1 Like

But seriously, if we don't expect a spam problem, I don't see why we shouldn't allow more links in the early posts.

1 Like

@bmitc
My hunch is that defalt limit was chosen to limit spam.

You will very quickly get to trust level 1.
Quoting the docs:

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
1 Like

It has been changed to 5 - which should be sufficient if you are posting to ask about some code.

2 Likes

I was able to post at least three separate messages without warning, so at least six could be the limit.

Ah, thanks for that detail. The warning message didn't mention anything other than something like "new user", and I'm not that familiar with Discourse.

1 Like

I think that works. Thanks!

There are more details here:

1 Like